Sunday, June 13, 2010

Marina's Traumatic Day

Well, we started off the day strong today, heading off to my 10 year high school reunion at a park in Palmer. We were there for half an hour or so, when someone said, "Oh Christine, your daughter just fell." I was looking around for Megan, until I realized that she was fine. Dn. John, however, was holding Marina, who wasn't making any noise. Yet. I got close enough to see the prolific amount of blood on her face, and then she started screaming.

Twenty minutes later, we were in the Emergency Room, where my baby girl got six stitches above her left eye. She gashed her forehead open on the slide. It was gnarly. Blood blood blood, and a giant, wide cut. Thankfully, I earned my Mommy points by not being freaked out by the sight of my child's blood. I then lost my Mommy points by just being freaked out that she was hurt in general, and doing a lot of fast talking and pacing.

Marina was such a trooper though. She settled down pretty quickly, and we got the bleeding stopped at the park, and patched up with a friend's first aid kid. In the hospital, she didn't make a peep, except when we had to take her cookie away (they didn't want her to eat anything until they were done stitching her up). But all through the shots and stitches, she laid there like a champ and let the doc do his stuff. The nurses commented that she was better behaved than most of their adult patients. Both Dn. John and my sister Jess are taking credit for that part of her personality (heck, I know it wasn't me!!).

Megan was pretty funny. She was walking a fine line between being worried about her sister and jealous of all the attention. She had fallen on the slide about ten minutes before Marina, and busied herself informing the ER doc that she had gotten hurt too, complete with rolling up her pant leg to show him her (unscathed) knee. He asked her if she thought she needed stitches too, but she politely declined. :)

After the ER (which we were in and out of in about an hour!! Awesome.) we headed back to Palmer for the tail end of a little fair they were having downtown. A pony ride and stick of cotton candy later, both girls were as happy as can be. They passed out on the way home, and are currently watching the NBA finals with their Dad.

In any case, it was a crazy afternoon! I'm thankful Marina is such a tough cookie. I'm pretty sure it would've been a different ball game had Megan been the one getting stitches, but we're not even going to go there. Ever. I'll post a pic once it's safe to take the bandage off.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Khouria (Priest's Wife), Orthodox Christian, Mother of Four.

Followers