Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I hate Anchorage a little bit today.

I like to think of myself as somebody who doesn't really rant about the government, but boy is that changing this week. The Municipality of Anchorage has become a general pain in my behind, and it gets worse every day.

Did you know that in order to offer samples, I have to have a permit? And that said permit costs money? When I applied for my permit, it was denied because I do not have a Muni Food Workers Card. I have a STATE card, but that is apparently not good enough. Also, the City of Anchorage was kind enough to not offer the test for the food workers card online. You have to present in person downtown to take the bloody thing. You have to pay for the test as well. Therefore, in order to sample (just sample!) my jams for two days in November, I will have to shell out $50, as well as pay someone to watch my kids so I can take this test that basically says I know not to pick my nose before giving somebody some food.

To add insult to injury, I have to read/study/memorize a 28 page booklet of the most boring information about food safety God ever put on this earth. It is 98% common sense, and 2% memorizing a bunch of temperatures that don't even pertain to what I am doing.

Now, I realize that I am complaining a lot about a very simple thing, and that I am also probably blowing it way out of proportion. But, like with many things these days, I'm pregnant and cranky and don't feel like dealing with it in any form of adult manner. They could at least offer the blasted test online!!! It's like the city is making it as hard as humanly possible to do a very simple thing, and they would like me to pay for it as well.

Sheesh.

2 comments:

Matthew Howell said...

Ok, here's the answer. Don't offer "samples." Rather, offer "spoon-size portions" for a penny. Oh, and don't pick your nose when you are presenting your test results. Bad joo-joo.
:)

AKmamaOf7 said...

I like what Matthew said. I'm so sick of the food Nazi mentality when it comes to food. What's up?! Maybe you should do more shows in the Valley? Do they require such madness too?

About Me

My photo
Khouria (Priest's Wife), Orthodox Christian, Mother of Four.

Followers