Monday, August 22, 2011

My little girl is growing up

This morning, Megan asked to walk to preschool by herself. She's done this before, so I didn't see any problem with it. I walked her out to the street, and watched as she crossed. She ran down the Dunaway's driveway, then turned to look at me with a big grin on her face. She waved, blew a kiss, and trotted off to school.

It was then that I realized that my heart was breaking, just a little.

Wasn't it just five short years ago that she was still turning somersaults in my belly? Just five years since we held her in our arms for the first time? Just five years since we stared at her in her hospital bassinet, marveling at this tiny 7 pound 11 ounce miracle that God had so lovingly blessed us with?

If time had a tail, I would grab it, dig my heels in, and hang on for dear life. Because I know--I KNOW--that the next five years will go even faster. Then the five after that, and the five after that, and then she will be a grown woman, making her own way in the world. I feel so unprepared all of a sudden for the momentous task that God has entrusted to me--to raise this precious little girl in faith and love, so that when she is all grown up, she is equipped to make good decisions, to love those around her, and to live a life of Godliness.

Until now, it's really been a matter of food, clothes and love. Now I am beginning to feel the change as she grows old enough to need so much more, and I am a little afraid. Then I look at my other two daughters, and the fear turns into a slight terror.

Today, even though Megan is maturing and growing so fast I can almost physically see it, she is still my little girl. And when she gets home from school, I am going to scoop her up and hold her close. I know I can't stop time, or even slow it, so I am determined to make the most of these short days while she is still small.

May God grand me wisdom and strength for the awesome and wonderful task He has given me. May He send good and wonderful things into my daughters' lives, and protect them from all evil. With His help, may I raise my daughters to the Kingdom of Heaven.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Khouria (Priest's Wife), Orthodox Christian, Mother of Four.

Followers