Here is--as best as I can remember it--a transcript of an earlier conversation that I had with Megan
Megan: Mommy, can you have another baby?
Me: Maybe someday. We'll have to see what God sends.
Megan: When I grow up, and I am a lady, I'm going to have LOTS of babies. I'm going to have four! That is a lot.
Me: That is a lot of babies!
Megan: Yep. But I want a lot. So when I grow up, and am a lady, I will get married, and the babies will be in my tummy. Who am I going to marry?
Me: I don't know honey.
Megan: Who did you marry?
Me: I married your Dad. I grew up, and met your Dad, and I love him, so we got married.
Megan: And then you had TWO babies. But when I get married, I'm going to have four. Maybe I will marry one of my friends! I will marry Joachim and Solomon and Oscar.
Me: Well, you will only marry one person. One man marries one lady.
Megan: Oh. Will you help me pick?
Me: I don't think you will need my help. God will send you a good man. You will love him, and then you can get married.
Megan: I will get married and have lots of babies.
Me: That sounds like a great idea.
Megan: What are their names?
Me: Who's names?
Megan: My babies' names.
Me: I don't know. When you get married and have a baby in your tummy, you and your husband will name them.
Megan: Like you and Daddy named me and Marina?
Me: Yes, exactly like that.
Megan: I will ask my Daddy to help me name my babies. Or else, when they come out of my tummy, he will say, "Where are all these babies from? What are their names?" And then I will say, "I don't know their names!" And then he will laugh and laugh and laugh, and say that it's silly that I have all these babies with no names.
**Long pause, I thought the conversation was over.**
Megan: Mommy? Why do you have to get married to have babies?
Me : (internally thinking Uh oh) Because that is the way that God made it. You grow up, get married, and then have babies. That's how it works.
Megan: Okay. I will be a little girl, then I will grow up and be a lady, and then I will get a husband, get married and have a baby in my tummy.
Me: Sounds great.
Megan: I don't want to have babies.
Thankfully, we then pulled into her tumbling class and that was the end of it. But she's been obsessing lots about having babies. In particular, she would like ME to have another baby. In her words, it's like this: "Mom, Marina is big now, so there are two big girls, and no babies at our house! You need to have another baby. I want a baby brother and a baby sister." I told her to talk to her Dad about it, and she replied: "Okay, I'll talk to my Dad. And then, you can get a baby in your tummy, and it will come out tomorrow." After the conversation asking for a brother and a sister, she decided she didn't want a brother, only a sister. She would like to have three girls at our house because (and I quote) "We need three girls because I am three." I'm not totally sure about that logic, but whatever.
I asked her once if she would help me with a new baby, calmly explaining that babies cry, and need their Moms a lot. "Sure! I will bring you diapers, and when we take a bath I will tell the baby to stop crying because baths are fun. But only if it's a girl." Apparently, should I produce a brother, I am on my own.
Monday, February 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
this. is. the. best. thing. ever! I love it!! and for the record, my 'word verification' in order to leave this post is "unfrickle." I love that too.
Agreed!
Print that out and put it in her file... When she's getting married, remind her of her plan. Hahaha!
Post a Comment