We live in a small church community, where everybody knows everyone, and we all worship together several times a week in our centrally located cathedral. The community was started some 30-odd years ago by a strong family looking to have a place where people could come and learn about Christ. Over the years, they journeyed together toward Orthodoxy. I was born before the journey was completed, and was one of 300 people Christmated together in April of 1987.
Last night, the Matriarch of our community, the wife of the original founder and a dear friend to all, died suddenly of a stroke.
I am struggling between degrees of shock and grief...I cannot fathom church functions without Kh. Barbara there, or taking a walk down the street without seeing her sitting on the front porch of her house visiting with friends. She was always kind, never exclusive, and always had a moment to comment on the antics of my kids, especially giving me a pat on the back and a kind word at those times when it looked like I was about to lose my sanity. She had a wonderful sense of humor, and I don't know that I remember a time when she was frowning or angry. She loved her family--both her natural family, and her church family--fiercely, and was called "Grandma Barb" by more kids than I'll ever be able to count, myself included.
Our priest--and Kh. Barb's oldest son--recently gave a homily on remembering to be thankful in all things. I am trying to remember that this morning, and I am thankful. I am thankful that she passed away suddenly, instead of prolonged by the chemo she was about to undergo. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to grow up around a woman who embodied Christian kindness and hospitality. I am thankful that Megan shares her name, and is old enough to hopefully remember her as time goes by. I am thankful for the example of faith she has always shown.
With the spirits of the righteous made perfect, give rest to the soul of Your servant, O Savior. Keep her in the blessed life, which is with You, the lover of mankind. Memory Eternal Kh. Barb.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Very well said. May her memory be eternal ((huggs))
I've been trying to find the words this morning... you've done it. So well put my dear. Grandma Barb will be greatly missed! Memory Eternal!
Nicely done.
She is/was a saint/Saint.
Thanks for that wonderful writing. Barb would have appreciated it and I know I do. Last night I was trying to remember my first memories of Aunt Barb and Uncle Harold, and mostly it was about them going to Alaska...way before I knew that my mom would "drag" me up there at age 15! We used to see the Dunaways down on my grandparents Kentucky farm, and we had some great times there. I remember all the fun times us cousins had together, and Barb was always helping us have fun. I stayed with her for the whole summer my 17th year, and she taught me a lot of things: cooking, patience, consistency, hard work. I shall never forget these lessons that were given in love.
Post a Comment