Monday, October 10, 2011

Weekend

We had a really delightful weekend this week. On Friday, our grown-up Godson graduated from college, and we were able to be there for the ceremony, as well as have a very fun dinner out afterwards with their family. Congratulations Corey! Many years. :)

Saturday dawned, and--wonder of wonders--I did not have any place to go to sell jam. It was the first Saturday I had been home in almost two months. Melanie celebrated by waking up almost every hour all night long, so Dn. John (bless him) let me sleep in very, very late. After I drug myself downstairs, we got the kids ready and went hiking at Thunderbird Falls. As soon as I can find my camera card reader, I'll put some pictures up. It was so much fun--a beautiful day, beautiful hike, capped off by seeing a bald eagle fly right by us while we were standing on an observation deck. I said, "Look! A bald eagle!" and Megan freaked out. "Where is the volcano???" She calmed down once informed that there were no volcanoes nearby, but it's always funny to hear what processes in the kids' brains when I say something.

Marina stood at the top of a hill that I was laboriously climbing, saying to me, "It's okay Mama. There's nothing to be afraid of. You can walk faster." Later, when I neglected to speed up to her standards, she came back and walked with me. "I will be slow with you Mama."

Afterward, we went to Pizza Hut, then came home and watched a movie. The kids were raving about the day at bedtime, so I'm glad they had fun. Sunday, we had a nice day at home. Dn. John and Megan did yardwork, getting everything outside ready for winter. I baked and played games on my cell phone. Megan came in when she finished and helped me bake an apple crisp. She made the topping almost completely by herself. It was really neat to give her directions and watch her measure and stir. She's growing up so fast! The crisp was a treat we shared with our friends Meghan and Michael, who came over in the evening to play cards. Michael and I got beaten quite badly, so I'm sensing a rematch sometime soon so we can vindicate ourselves.

Dn. John is home today. He's sleeping in after a 4 am moose road kill call. He went with our friend to load the moose up, then came home and went back to sleep. I'm doing my best to keep Melanie and Marina quiet (Megan's at school) so he can sleep as long as possible. It's tougher because Melanie is nursing a head cold and is fussy, but we seem to be doing okay. She is currently distracted playing with vacuum cleaner attachments.

In any case, we're definitely enjoying the reprieve of business, and getting some family time in. Next week, all the crazy picks up again, so the breather is a welcome one!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Khouria (Priest's Wife), Orthodox Christian, Mother of Four.

Followers