Friday, July 3, 2009

July 4th Eve

If there any typos in this post, blame Marina, who is on my lap attempting to bang on the keyboard while I type.

Yesterday was a fruitful day at the bakery...made 70 4th of July cupcakes, in the traditional American colors of White, Blue, and Hot Pink, since if I put any more food coloring in that frosting it would've tasted like garbage. Maybe it will dry red...maybe nobody will care. I hate making red frosting.

Today, Dn. John has the day off, so he is in the yard with a chainsaw, demolishing piles of dead trees in order to haul them away to the brush dump. He thinks he has two truckloads....our yard is going to look so cool when he's done! While he works on that, I am going to get the smoker going and go for Take 2 of pulled pork. It's nice not having a deadline to have it done...it means that I can get it started approximately "whenever I feel like it" and not worry about eating it today. So, the yard will smell like wood chips, hickory smoke, and chainsaw today. Mmmm.... You know, it's really too bad we don't have any hickory trees, because that would've saved me $5. Oh well.

Dn. John is headed off camping tonight, and in a fit of gallantry to all of us Moms who are staying home with kids, the guys aren't leaving until 8:30 pm--after bedtime. :) They're going to canoe, camp, and fish, then come home midmorning tomorrow. Gotta love Alaska--the land of the midnight sun--where you can see to canoe, camp and fish in the middle of the night. This means that I'll probably hit the hay right after he leaves...and get lots and lots of sleep. You hear that girls??? I am sleeping tonight, so don't wake up.

I was hoping to take Megan to the zoo today, but the fantastic weather from yesterday didn't hold, so it's back to the old standby of cleaning the house. Huzzah. Tomorrow is the 4th, so we're heading to a parade in Wasilla to see my sister in her firefighter regalia, then a BBQ at my folks' place with piles of pulled pork. And then on the 16th, my mother-in-law gets here for a week and a half...maybe we'll hit the zoo then. :)

My little girl--who is ten months old tomorrow!--is currently screaming and drooling to beat the band. I bet that tooth #5 is working on making an appearance...and I bet that I will get no sleep tonight. Dangit.

2 comments:

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine said...

Jess, that makes me think you wrote something mean.

About Me

My photo
Khouria (Priest's Wife), Orthodox Christian, Mother of Four.

Followers