So, I've been thinking a lot about the health bill lately (who hasn't?). Granted, most of my knowledge and interaction about it comes from Facebook. And, let me just say, there are a LOT of angry Republicans on Facebook these days. It has really gotten me thinking.
For one, I have had to acknowledge that my children and husband take up about 98% of my brain power. Having said this, I really had to decide if I wanted to spend the remaining 2% on politics. The answer is no. It's not that I don't care, it's just that I don't have room in my life for it right now, especially since my political leanings would probably cause me to be angry a lot.
I've also heard rumors about people threatening violence toward their pro-health care bill friends. WHAT THE HECK??? How in the world would this accomplish anything? Except, of course, that their injured friends would probably NEED the health care then. Go figure. Let's get a grip, crazy people! As Tevye says, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth will leave the whole world blind and toothless."
Secondly, I have friends on both sides of the issue, Orthodox and non. I also personally know of people that this bill is really going to help. Do I think that it is perfect? No. But I do acknowledge that there are a lot of people out there that do need help. I want them to be helped. I wish that they could be helped in a way that I could stomach a little more, but that is beside the issue.
Thirdly, and definitely most importantly, I have been reminded that our help is not in the government, at least not the government of this world. In the words of Isaiah, "The government will be upon His shoulders." Two Psalms have been brought to my attention that I have thought of a lot: "Do not trust in rules and sons of men, in whom their is no salvation." Also, "Some trust in horses, others in chariots; my help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth." With Pascha approaching so quickly, I think that this is the most important issue. God is not unaware of the problems facing our country, health care bill and beyond. He is with our President as much as He is with me here, sitting at my computer. He hears the prayers that we pray in every service, for all those in civil authority. And He will not fail us. Perhaps this just plays into our struggle as Christians to simply trust Him at every juncture. He is just giving us a new reason to trust.
In any case, my point is that I do feel that I can see both sides of the issue. I know where I stand, but my sincere hope is not to offend or "write off" anyone who doesn't see eye to eye with me. Frankly, I might not have very many friends if I did that for ever issue that came up in life. So if I have offended, please forgive.
On a totally separate note (although still possibly related to health care), I just pulled four paper clips out of Marina's mouth. The worst part is that I know that there were five in the little pile she was evidently trying to consume.
Friday, March 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(146)
-
▼
March
(19)
- Spicy
- Pictures
- New Picture
- My husband would be proud
- Good wisdom for Holy Week
- Tired
- Political Ramblings
- New Meganisms
- Brown Sugar Oatmeal Bread (For Naomi!)
- Shout out to Grammy and Papa!
- New camera
- Fun in the Snow (and Star Wars!)
- The Little Things
- Videos and Marina's lauguage faux-pas
- At long last, pictures!
- She listened!
- I spoke too soon
- Anywho....
- Parenting
-
▼
March
(19)

1 comment:
I'm so proud of you! I needed to hear this. You've probably figured out that I'm one of the angry conservatives. It's so hard to "be angry but sin not".
Love, Mom
Post a Comment