Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thoughts on the Liturgy

Let me warn you, before you read this hoping for some deep, meditative and holy insights into Liturgy: there are none. My thoughts on the Liturgy this evening involve almost entirely the madness of my youngest child. She was not still for a single moment. This is impressive, even for her, as I can usually distract her for at least a few minutes with a book or a toy. Not so today. I chalk this up to the two hour nap she took this afternoon, as well as her simply insane nature. She spent a good ten minutes rolling around on the floor in the back of the church, right in front of a visiting priest who I'm sure now thinks that either she--or I--needs an exorcism. I counted down the minutes to the Lord's Prayer, when I felt I could reasonably send her to stand with her Godparents and have a break.

Let me just say, God bless you Hillary. Thanks for the breather. Sorry she was a lunatic.

Once I *ahem* unloaded Marina, I went back to stand with Dn. John and Megan. Megan had apparently been saving up all her random questions for the whole Liturgy for me to get back, and we proceeded to have a very deep conversation. We have many visiting clergy for Kh. Barb's funeral tomorrow, and we proceeded to watch all nine priests take Eucharist. She was pretty concerned that there would not be enough left for the rest of us, but I was able to reassure that particular fear. In any case, we watched the Priests Communing, and she realized they were all drinking three times out of the Chalice. This prompted a discussion of the Trinity, and how we cross ourselves with three fingers. A couple minutes later, she made the connection that babies are dunked three times at Baptism too. It was pretty neat to watch the wheels turn in her head. After this, she turned to me and caught me completely off guard...I was expecting another Liturgical question, but instead I got, "Why do we bury people when they die?" Yeesh.

Oh, and just so you know--Marina just pulled a chair up to the washing machine and proceeded to turn it on. The madness continues...

2 comments:

FrStephenLourie said...

Did you Mom ever say to you, "I hope your children are just like you?"

I love reading your blog.

God bless you and all mother's who manage to retain sanity through any Liturgy.

I remember a priest who said, holding a child through the Liturgy is equivalent to about 300 prostrations.

Christine said...

Thanks Fr. Stephen! I'm going to pass that prostration tidbit around--it's fantastic!

About Me

My photo
Khouria (Priest's Wife), Orthodox Christian, Mother of Four.

Followers